Understanding people is one of top secrets of successful people. People are your best assets.
“No man can rise to fame and fortune without carrying others along with him. It simply cannot be done “—Napoleon Hill
It is essential to understand the fact that people are the reason why people succeed in life
All human activities upon the face of the earth are done because of the existence of people. Every business exists for people to patronize it. All services are rendered to people by people and are paid for by people.
For instance, a million dollars movie depends on the patronization of people for the recovery of invested capital and profit making.
Just imagine a world without people. How lonely and bored it would be. The presence of people brings happiness and makes the world habitable.
It is good to know that you need people to become successful in life. It is necessary to have vast knowledge on how to influence and win the interest of everyone you meet.
Here are 5 strategic ways you can win and influence people.
#1: understand the psychological need of every human being
Basically, there are three psychological need of every man.
It is the psychological need of every man :
- To be liked :— Every man would want people to like him. Make it a habit to like every one you meet.
” I never met a man I didn’t like “—Will Rogers
Liking people is a choice and you can choose to like everyone. People have a natural tendency to move from where they are not liked to where they are liked.
Getting people to like you is merely the other side of liking them. Develop interest in people and they will reciprocate.
- To be appreciated :— Every man feels happy and honoured when ever soemone appreciates him. It is a sign of recognition and gratuition. It is quite appalling that many companies don’t appraise their workers. Many sales men don’t appreciate their customers. Some parents don’t appreciate their children.
This is one of the best ways of winning and influencing people.It is good to appreciate someone immediately he does something good.People get motivated to do more if they are appreciated for what they have done.
- To be valued :— People feel valued when held at high esteem. No one would like to be taken for granted. You attract to yourself the people you value. The way you address people gives an impression on the value you place on them. Use words like :— I am proud of you, I trust you, you are the best. When you say this to people, it will lift their ego and make them value you too.
#2—master the art of using gracious words
understanding people and winning them is very vital to your success. The words we speak are powerful and can determine how people feel about us. Here are some effective gracious words I recommend that you use.
- welcome — Every successful business or firm always welcome their patronizers. Most of them place a welcome banner at the entrance. welcome is a way of showing acceptance to people.
- Thank you —Always say “thank you ” to people especially after doing business with them. Its a way of showing appreciation.
Banks practice this very often. They always say “thank you for banking with us” Customers feel appreciated and keep coming back for more business when you say “thank you ”
- I am sorry — The refusal to use these three three words has dampened many relationships. ” I am sorry ” is more powerful than “I love you “
Many people find it difficult to say sorry to people they offend. Saying sorry in a heartly manner is a way of showing love to people. And the best way to win them back when they are offended.
The word sorry can settle divorce and a broken relationship. Learn to alway say “I am sorry ” even when you are not wrong. You can easily pacify the most cantankerous people you know if you practice this.
#3: Be an asset to people
No one would prefer to have a liability as a friend. A man once said that a friend in need is a pest .
You are an asset if you contribute to the success of others. Your ideas, money, prayers e.t.c serves as assets and acan be regarded as your value.
Let people you meet feel your positive impact. The best way if not the only way to gain access to wealthy people is by being an asset to them .
For instance, whenever you have the opportunity to meet a wealthy man in a restaurant, pay his bills. He will like to be your friend.
You can buy your boss a lunch. He may not show appreciation immediately but he will not forget what you did. One day he’ll will reward you in a big way.
The law of compensation says that what you sow is what you will reap. Be asset to people and they will be an asset to you.
#4: Practice self control
Every great man possess the quality of self control. Understanding the fact that people have a high tendency of being offensive calls for this control measure.If you neglect to exercise self control, you are not only likely to injure others, but you are sure to injure yourself.
Lack of self control is the average salesman’s most damaging weakness. The prospective buyer says something that the salesman does not wish to hear, and if he has not this quality of self control, he will strike back with a counter remark that is fatal to his sale.
#5: Practice Norman Vincent ‘s 10 practical rules for getting the esteem of others
- Learn to remember names. Inefficiency at this point may indicate that your interest is not sufficiently outgoing. A man’s name is very important to him.
- Be a comfortable person so there is no strain in being with you
- Acquire the quality of relaxed easy -goingness so that things do not ruffle you.
- Don’t be egostical. Guard against giving the impression that you know it all. Be natural and normal humble.
- Cultivate the quality of being interested so that people will want to be with you and get something of stimulating value from their association with you.
- Study to get the “scratchy” elements out of your personality, even those of which you may be unconscious.
- Sincerely attempt to heal, on an honest Christian basis, every misunderstanding you have had or now have. Drain of your grievances.
- Practice liking people until you learn to do so genuinely. Remember what Will Rogers said, “I never met a man I didn’t like ” Try to be that way.
- Never miss an opportunity to say a word of congratulation upon anyone’s achievement, or express sympathy in sorrow or disappointment.
- Get a deep spiritual experience so that you have something to give people that will help them to be stronger and meet life more efficiently.
Understanding people is a strategy to deal with limitations in all walks of life.